Historic Hood River
This is an “action shot” of the construction of the library annex in 2002. The original Carnegie library was built in 1913. In this view its east exterior wall is being prepared to be an interior wall, with passage way to the new reading room and the new children’s library off the downstairs walkway.
Prior to this shot the Roe-Parker house was moved to its new location on Sherman Street.
The original library was built partially on the Fifth Street right-of-way vacated by the city. Terms indicated passage needed to be maintained between Oak and State Street. The new library design still affords this passage through the downstairs hallway.