Historic Hood River
Hood River Apple Vinegar Company
Not all apples are suitable for market. These bins of culls and windfall are waiting to be converted to apple vinegar. There was a steady stream arriving from nearby packing plants.
Back then vinegar was for more than salad dressing. Before the days of home refrigerators pickling was very popular, ketchup was still the most popular condiment, and the Hood River Apple Vinegar Company found a ready market for their product.
This building was on Industrial (then Railroad) between 6th and 7th, directly to the east of the present day “Big 7” Building. The 1916 Sanborn map identifies six large fermentation vats on the north side of the street. The vinegar apparently moved through pipes in that bridge to an evaporation tank on the south side of the street, where water was removed to increase acidity. Then it would return back across the street to five storage tanks and a bottling facility.
Here’s the Google street view of this location.
Ed. Note: This description has been changed substantially from the original post based on material provided by a reader and further research.