Historic Hood River
Fashion Stable, Circa 1908
11-10-2011

Notes
The Fashion Stable was built at First and Oak Street in 1900, just uphill from the Mt. Hood Hotel. Across First Street you can see a liquor store in the building that was previously the U.S. Post Office, and would later become the Yasui Store. Just below that building is the Wm. Rand Livery, which we saw several months ago.
The Fashion Stable was to later move around the corner to a prominent building at the base of Oak Street (at Front Street). This site was cleared by 1913 to make room for the Mt. Hood Hotel Annex, which is now the Hood River Hotel. Here’s a recent view of that spot.



Charlott
Interesting as always. It appears that the east end of town housed the livery stables. There may have been on the west end, but that seems to have been the core of the residential area.
Curios about what that is on the border of the right side of photo by man, could that be some sort of fire hydrant? Really can’t get a good view of it.
Stands to reason livery, hotel and railroad all so close. Someone coming to town via train might need housing and also rent a "rig" of some sort.
Charlott
Horses may have been the mode of transportation at Fashion Livery Stable in 1908, but by 1912 one could rent a car from the same location. Wonder if there was a period of time they had both horses and cars, as we have seen both in that time frame on previous pictures of the streets of Hood River.
l.e.
While looking up the Stranahan brothers building the covered bridge, I learned that Albert built a livery stable in HR.
And here it is!
Mrs. DM Coon, in her history of Early Pioneer Familites, writes…..
"Albert Stranahan was born in Northfleld, Minnesota, August 22, 1871. He came to Hood River with his parents when about seven years of age, and acquired his education in the public schools.He worked on his father’s farm until grown. For two years he was in the employ of the O.R.N. Co.As a boy he was very fond of heroes and as a man he became interested in the livery business. In 1903 he and his cousin, (James Stranahan) and J.T. Bagley entered into a partnership, organizing the Fashion Livery and Dray Co." They erected a substantial building at the East end of Oak Street equipped with every modern convenience. Automobiles were also kept."
l.e.
The hill down to the hotel does not look as steep as it does today.
Looks like they are getting ready for a trip somewhere.
Charlott
This is where the Hood River hearse was housed and when there was a funeral up Oak Street would go Eph Olinger, who was the hearse driver for many years. Just thought I would throw that in as history trivia.
Charlott
Eph Olinger actually had the first exclusely livery stable . It was located in the Mt. Hood Hotel block . It was in a big red barn, thus being known as "The Red Barn." He along with his partner Mr. Bone established and ran the stage line between Hood River and Cloud Cap Inn.
Olinger was very involved in the law enforcement department in Hood River and served in a number of capacities in his life in Hood River.
l.e.
Charlott…..that fire hydrant that you questioned….
This is First St. not Second, but it might be an explanation for a hydrant.
From the Hood River Glacier, May 12, 1933 by Geo. T. Prather
"The first year all the water we used we had to carry it from the Hood river, there was a small spring on the hill. John Parker saw W.C. Coe, he giving Mr. Parker the right to use and pipe the water down to town so Mr. Parker bought lumber and made wooden pipe, dug a trench and brought this water down to town as his own expense and we all used this water in the early part of 1883. Mr. Parker turned this water works over to H.C. Coe who laid a ¾ inch pipe and began to charge for the water. Mr. Coe was very nice about it. There was several he could not furnish water, so he placed a hydrant on the corner of Oak and Second streets, so we could carry all the water we wanted free. This was the beginning of the Hood River water works. "
Jeffrey Bryant
The Hood River Glacier, April 7, 1910
A New Garage Being Built
A new and up-to-date automobile garage is being erected by the Hood River Manufacturing & Engineering Co., at the corner of First and State streets adjoining the shop of the company. The new building is to be a one story brick 54 by 50 feet and it will contain all the accessories needed in the proper handling and repair of automobiles which are rapidly increasing in number in the Hood River valley. The repair shop, which is thoroughly equipped, will be able to perform all sorts of surgical stunts on broken down autos and in the garage there will be a turntable, repair pit and washing rack where machines may be kept in good trim.