Historic Hood River
It looks like moving day for the Davidson Fruit business office. They were located in Davidson Building on Cascade when it was built in 1905, but here they are moving the files into what we now call “the Union Building.” This building was constructed in pieces over about a decade as business grew. This brick building with easy access to the railroad was a large refrigerator with cork insulation and an ammonia-based refrigeration unit. Apples from this cold storage would be packed with ice and sawdust for the rail trip back east. Hopefully the office quarters weren’t part of the refrigerate area.